View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Assembling a liteon probe pictorial 
XE Knowledge Base

Post Assembling a liteon probe pictorial
I put together an extra pictorial page for the actual assembly of a simple probe. Tell me what you guys think.
http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorial.php? ... lingaliteo
Any comments, questions, improvements?

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:49 pm
Mr. I know Everything

Post Re: Assembling a liteon probe pictorial
that is a great improvement on the old tutorial many people will be able to save a lot of money building this. great work!

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Credits: 0
I guess i just stink at life i have tried a bunch of times to make this probe and have failed. I know people will say oh it is so easy I just have never done anything like this before. Iam pretty confident that i have soldered it correctly and am also sure that everything is set up the way it should be but i could be wrong. For the 5v i cut a molex cable and left the red one intact and plugged into pc power supply. I used a straight serial connection and also tried a usb2serial cable.

I am lost it seems like the more i do of these the less they work the first one i did i actually got something from realterm now i cannot get anything. maybe it is the probe i am using or the power. I took out every other cable xcept for the red one and plugged molex into pc. and for a proble i cut a multimeter and soldered it into wire. If some one could spent a couple minutes with me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

oh ya yaywoop great job

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:54 pm
XE Knowledge Base

have you followed the troubleshooting section in http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorial.php? ... ourliteonf ?
using that you should be able to narrow down your problem and fix it. otherwise post back and tell us what you have learned. btw did you follow the pictorial? post a link to a photo of your circuit, it might be something really obvious

Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:33 am

thanks for the reply.ya i looked at the tutorial and the troubleshooting stuff. I will try to post some pix later. This is really my first experience with soldering but i think that i have done it properly from tuts i have seen. thanks again for taking the time.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 am

yaywoop thanks for the tutorial. I will start gathering the components today and will update this thread with my progress as soon as I give it a try. Unfortunately my MB hasn't got any com ports so I need a converter.

//edit: ignore this, I read about it in your guide. Can you explain more thoroughly how the probe might be created from a DKU5 cable?

I was searching about liteon relevant information yesterday and I found that it's possible to make a probe with a mobile phone ttl usb cable (I'm searching for the page where I read that). Do you think it's possible to make a usb probe without spending much?

P.S: hello all. admins adjust your captchas, I got blocked and had to go through a proxy to try registering again. It's not much use if human's can't read it!;)

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:20 pm

I built the probe from stuff I got from maplin yesterday, and ordered a usb->rs232 adaptor yesteday which came today!! I managed to extract the key succesfully:)

Some stuff that might help others:
- I had trouble understanding how the tray stays half way open. I did not remove pin 3 from its power cable, thus I had to 1. unplug the xbox while the tray is closing 2. unplug the dvd cable 3.turn on the xbox 4 plug the dvd cable. That way it stays half open (and doesn't close as soon as it gets power).
- As a probe I just used one end of an unused resistor.
- I had to turn AHCI off through my bios in order for jungleflasher to read anything
- I got no results by testing my probe with the batteries or with the molex/battery combination. However it extracted the key flawlessly.

Somehow I managed to burn my finger while holding the ground on a 1.5v battery which I found very strange since the other end of the battery wasn't connected to anything and neither were the 5v/Rx.

I still haven't tested the newly flashed fw (need DL media). It does play my originals. A big thank you to yaywoop!

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:41 pm
Heatgunner

A big thank you to yaywood for this wonderful tutorial. I followed the instruction and build the kit.

However, I don seem to be able to get any reading on the hyperterminal when I tried to test it with a 1.5v AA battery. Is there any settings to set in hyperterminal? (ie. bps speed, flow control etc) Default is 9600, and flow control = none.

I did slight mod to the kit, as in I tap the 5v & Gnd from the PC molex connector instead of using 3 x 1.5v batteries. I guess it should not alter the circuitry at all.

Anyway, I measured the resistor readings and check connectivity of my kit and everything seem correct with exception of the transistor that I cannot check with my multimeter.

Does that mean my kit is still working without confirmation using the hyperterminal?

Appreciate all kind advice.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:09 pm

I couldn't get any readings at all in hyperterminal with the molex and a battery or with the batteries alone, but it worked like a charm with the dvd drive(+molex power). I'd say go for it.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:11 pm
XE Knowledge Base

kkelis_ wrote:
I couldn't get any readings at all in hyperterminal with the molex and a battery or with the batteries alone, but it worked like a charm with the dvd drive(+molex power). I'd say go for it.

either your batteries where dead flat or you where not connecting ground to the - end and the power wire to the + end properly.
batteries work and are recommended because they save people from killing their pc power supplies.
even I have killed a power supply by shorting out the rails. it is easy to do especially if you are sticking wires in the molex plug.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next